Mauricio Gomes Legacy Team
Kingston Jiu Jitsu is affiliated to the Mauricio Gomes Legacy Team, which is headed by the legendary Mauricio Gomes.
In the late 1990s, Mauricio came to the UK and established the very first Gracie Barra gym here. Through his teaching, many new gyms would open and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is now the fastest growing martial art in the UK. Mauricio is affectionately known as the ‘Godfather of British Jiu-Jitsu’ because of his efforts to grow the sport in the country.
Mauricio acts as a mentor to Kingston Jiu Jitsu Head Instructor, Marc, and regularly visits the club to teach classes, seminars and take gradings.
Kingston Jiu Jitsu
Founded in 2012, Kingston Jiu Jitsu has grown from a small club with a handful of students training once a week, to a large full-time academy with over 300 students. Kingston Jiu Jitsu is renowned for the exceptional atmosphere that is fostered there. All of our members are treated as part of a big family, and the result is a relaxed and enjoyable place in which to train.
Head instructor Marc Barton is one of a handful of black belts personally mentored by the legendary 8th-degree coral belt Mauricio Gomes. Mauricio was responsible for bringing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to the UK in the early 2000s and is perhaps best known for being the father of the greatest BJJ athlete of all time, Roger Gracie.
In addition to being part of the Mauricio Gomes Legacy Team, we are also affiliated with the UKJJF and the UKBJJA, and retain close ties to the Roger Gracie Academy in Central London and Jiu Jitsu Brotherhood, run by former Kingston Jiu Jitsu instructor Nic Gregoriades.
How Can Jiu Jitsu Improve Your Life?
Club Rules and Code of Conduct
- Please arrive to class before it due to start
- Please wash your Gi and kit before each session
- Please make sure your finger and toenails are cut and clean
- Please make sure your feet are clean and wear flip flops or shoes to and from the toilet or if leaving the mats
- Please never wear shoes or flip-flops on the mats
- Please treat your training partners with respect at all times
- Please ensure the safety of yourself, your training partners and those training nearby at all times